Building The Network
While the possibilities for networking were there from the beginning on Aran, very concrete steps have been taken in the meantime to make it a reality. The following tools have been used:
- Hospitality: Making it easy for people to drop in, to visit, to stay a while, to find suitable accommodation. Facilitating people and making them welcome.
- Correspondence: Writing and responding with e-mails, text messages and letters is a significant aspect of life on the island.
- The Magazine: The AISLING Magazine has broadened the network, creating good contact with a wide variety of writers, artists and poets and ferretting out interested people all over the world.
- Events: Gatherings of various kinds are all ways of encouraging more contact and closer friendships.
- Personal visits: While Aran is and always has been a focus for visitors, visiting also happens in the other direction, with people from Aran taking time out to visit their friends off the island.